Sensual Carrot Soup with Orange and Fennel
Carrot really loves tangy partners; combine it with orange and the aniseed taste of fennel to create a delicate soup. It is better to choose smaller carrots which are tender and sweet.
350g grated carrots
1 large bulb fennel, trimmed and cut into thin slices
1 garlic clove, crushed
Juice of two oranges (150ml), sieved
50ml white dry wine
50ml double cream
- We chop all the vegetables into pieces of irregular shape
1. In a large saucepan we heat the butter and we sauté the fennel until it starts to soften.
2. We add the carrot and garlic. We continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes and we pour in the wine.
3. We fill the pan with 1-1.5 lt of water and we simmer until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes. Season well.
4. We whizz everything in a blender until smooth. If we want a velvet texture we pass through a sieve. Up to this point we can prepare the soup one or two days before.
5. Just before serving, we heat the soup below boiling point and we add the cream. We whisk it to incorporate and let it boil for 1 minute. We remove from heat.
6. We serve the soup with additional cream and decorate with star anise.