Chicken and Artichoke Stew with Egg-lemon sauce (Avgolemono) NP
This gourmet stew made with artichokes and scallions that are highlighted by the flavors of lemon and dill. It can be made as a main course or as a delicious side dish.
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 large stewing chicken, cut into serving pieces
8 large globe artichokes
water or light chicken broth
½ cup fresh dill
½ cup fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
2 large eggs
fresh strained juice of 2 large lemons
- Clean artichokes
- Coarsely chop scallions
- Chop dill and parsley
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot and brown the chicken in batches over high heat. Remove with a slotted spoon.
2. In the same pot, add the scallions, lower the heat and cook until wilted.
3. Place the chicken back in the pot. Season with salt and pepper and add enough water or broth to cover. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 50 minutes.
4. Add the artichoke hearts and herbs to the pot, and toss gently to combine. Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper, and additional water or broth if necessary. Cover the pot and simmer until the artichokes are tender, about 30 to 35 minutes.
5. Whisk together the eggs and lemon juice in a medium-size metal bowl.
6. Take a ladleful of pot juices and add them to the egg mixture in a slow steady stream, whisking all the while.
7. Pour the avgolemono into the pot, remove from heat, and tilt pan so that the sauce is evenly distributed. Serve immediately.