Sweet Jerusalem Noodle Casserole (Kugel)
Here you will find the most common recipe for a Kugel. You can also find it enriched with vegetables for a savoury variation. As with everything, we do tend to love branching away from the roots to explore the possibilities of creation; feel free to do the same with this, but appreciate the inicial simplicity of this recipe before you move in another direction!
1/2 lb thin eggs noodles
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil
3 large eggs, beaten
salt, black pepper
garlic to taste
- Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
1. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and oil. Cook over low heat until caramelized.
2. Add the caramelized sugar to the noodles and stir until all the noodles are coated.
3. Add the beaten eggs and season with the spices. Pour the noodles into the pan and bake for about 45 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.