Parsley and Onion Dip from Syros
Serve this creamy and refreshing dip from the island of Syros with toasted pita wedges or as an accompaniment to grilled fish or meat.
- 1 1/2 cups chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 pound (250 gr) stale bread
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup extra virgin Greek olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1-2 tbs. Red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
Run the bread under the tap to dampen, then squeeze out the excess water.
Pulse the parsley and chopped onion in the food processor on and off to pulverize.
Crumble the bread and add it to the food processor bowl, pulsing on and off to combine.
Add the egg and pulse on and off a few times.
Slowly drizzle in the olive oil and lemon juice, alternating between each, pulsing until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
Season with salt and pepper.